St. James Anglican Church Sign

THE ANGLICAN CHURCH OF St. James Castlecrag was founded more than 65 years ago in this district of Sydney. Originally in St. Thomas, North Sydney, the congregation (numbering 16) started meeting in the home of two of the members in Castlecrag. They chose the name St. James, the younger brother of St. John, which was the name of the sibling church in nearby Willoughby. Forming a Parents and Friends Association, the members made literally thousands of cakes and jars of jam to raise funds for a proposed church building and Sunday School. Their determination (and a generous donation or two) paid off when the present site was finally purchased in 1950.

The present church was designed by John Brindley, a local architect. It features the well-known foyer relief mural, created by stonemason and sculptor Bim Hilder, which depicts scenes from the apostle James’ life. This new building was dedicated in 1969 and finally conscrated in 1987, after years of paying off construction debts by the production of musical comedies done by the local youth and annual art shows.

St. James’ is a well known landmark here and a symbol of community cooperation in Castlecrag. Its light brick and stone tower, with a simple lit cross at night, stands out for all to see. So when the church members asked Danthonia to design their entry sign, we wanted it to harmonize with the building and keep its history in mind. The relief sculpted artwork of James the fisherman was designed and carved by our artists, with warm painted tones of wood – which seemed fitting when thinking of the affinity for working in wood the sculptor Bim Hilder had. The main text was incise carved by hand and gilded with 23kt gold.

Lettering
Carved & Gilded / Painted
Artwork
Relief Sculpted
Sign Size
31 " x 67 "
Price
$2,100.00