St. Mary the Virgin Church Sign

ST. MARY THE VIRGIN Anglican Church in Waverley, New South Wales, is a beautiful church constructed in Old English style. It was designed by the British architect Edmund Blacket, who immigrated to Australia and was well known for his knowledge of Gothic styles. He went on to design many schools, colleges (including the first buildings at the University of Sydney), banks, commercial buildings and churches, with Anglican churches being of special interest to him.

The first part of this Blacket building was consecrated in 1864. In the 1880’s an organ chamber was added, and especially interesting are the two lancet windows located near the pulpit which include the very first stained glass windows made in New South Wales. These were made by a professional glassmaker, John Falconer, who then made other windows in the church as well.

In recent years, extensive restoration has been carried out, including the construction of a west gallery and screen by one of the parishioners, Jerry Carroll, incorporating details from Blacket’s work. The present organ (built in the new west gallery in 1995) was also moved from the chancel to its new location. <.p>

This dimensional entrance sign was created for the church with the architecture and building style in mind. The add on crest was sculpted by hand, with the hand carved crown as an additional layer, gilded with 23kt gold leaf. The main text is also gilded, while other text is incise carved and painted. Since the sign is constructed from high density urethane, which will not rot, split or warp like wood, it will last for many years to come.

Lettering
Carved & Gilded / Painted
Artwork
Sculpted & Painted Add on
Sign Size
25 " x 49 "
Price
$1,210.00