Maitland Bowling Club Sign

BOWLS OR LAWN BOWLS is a sport that dates back to at least the 13th century, and probably the 12th, when a biography of Thomas Becket (circa 1190) included a detailed picture of London. Telling about summer sports, the author mentioned the ‘casting of stones in jactu lapidum’. Whatever the exact meaning of this description, the game was certainly played soon after this, even if in a more rudimentary form, and the world’s oldest surviving bowling green (the Southampton Old Bowling Green) is recorded as first being used in 1299. So, one way or another, this is an old game. Interesting to note that, back in the heydays of archery warfare, the game of bowls was banned – presumably because men wouldn’t be keeping their bow and arrow skills up to snuff if they spent too much time bowling. Even after archery had fallen into disuse as a weapon, though, the game was still under prohibition. This was probably due to the disrepute of bowling alleys, which were first established in 1455 in London, and were often connected with taverns that were frequented by gamesters and other ‘riffraff’. It wasn’t until Christmas 1845 that laborers, apprentices and servants were allowed to play the game at any time other than Christmas. It is widely believed that the invention of the lawn mower in 1830 in Britain brought on the new style of greens, as well as modern rules to go with them. Now, the game is played in over 40 countries, though its home is still Scotland.

The Maitland City Bowling Club carries on the tradition in style, and the club (home of the East Maitlan Griffins) has a lot to offer, with three bowling greens, award-winning Billabong Family Buffet Restaurant, Meet and Greet Café, Riley’s Sports Bar, Function Center and much more. This sign identifies one of the greens, with its dimensional crest and hand carved lettering.

Lettering
Carved & Painted
Artwork
Sculpted & Painted Add on
Sign Size
33 " x 22 "
Price
$725.00