New Paltz Town Hall Entrance Sign

NEW PALTZ IS A VILLAGE within a township by the same name in Ulster County, New York located about 80 miles north of New York City. It was founded in 1678 by French Huguenots (some of whom had taken refuge in Mannheim, Germany briefly before emigrating to New Netherland, a Dutch colony in America). Since Mannheim was a major town in the Palatinate (Pfalz, in German) the name ‘New Paltz’ derived from this.

The village center was located on the east shore of the Wallkill River, where the first settlers had built their stone houses. This street is now called Huguenot Street, and the buildings which can still be seen here are among the surviving examples of original stone houses built by European settlers in North America. This is where the schools, church, blacksmith and stores were found, serving the farmers’ supply needs. Many of these buildings still exist today – more than a museum, since they are still a living part of the community. From a later time, after passenger service through the town was ended in 1937, the former train station was renovated as a restaurant, called La Stazione. This is just one of the many restaurants that have earned a reputation in the town, attracting visitors from a large area.

When the town wanted some new signs for the town entrance the town hall, they looked for something that would stand out and have that extra punch. The end result was this distinctive dimensional sign, with a hand sculpted and painted apple to reflect the many orchards in this area. The text and circle accent were hand carved too – and gilded with 23kt gold.

Lettering
Carved & Painted
Artwork
Sculpted & Painted Add on
Sign Size
48 " x 48 "
Price
$2,304.00