Rifton Town Entrance Sign

“BRIDGES BECOME FRAMES for looking at the world around us.” Bruce Jackson

The village of Rifton (population 456), in the town of Esopus, New York is a little place with some historic claims to fame. It was the birthplace of the African-American abolitionist Sojourner Truth (born into slavery as Isabella Baumfree around 1797). And it is the location of Perrine’s Bridge - the second oldest covered bridge to be found in New York, just a few hundred feet from Interstate 87 and crossing the Walkill River.

Built around 1835 by Benjamin West, it is an outstanding example of a burr arch truss type bridge and is listed in the US National Register of Historic Places. 154 feet long, it was originally built to help trade between the towns of Rifton and Rosendale. The one-lane wooden bridge was closed to vehicular traffic in 1930 and has been enjoyed by pedestrians ever since. It was named after James Perrine, a descendant of Daniel Perrin, known as ‘The Huguenot’, the tavern keeper who opened an inn on the east side of the river by the future bridge site. Each winter, his family would spread snow the entire length of the structure so horse-drawn sleighs could travel across.

The natural choice for this town entry sign, the bridge was hand painted with artist acrylics. All text was incise carved by hand and gilded with 23kt gold leaf.

Lettering
Carved & Gilded
Artwork
Flat Painted
Sign Size
47 " x 60 "
Price
$2,880.00