Stanthorpe Town Entrance Sign

THE NAME ‘STANTHORPE’ literally means ‘tin town’ (‘Stannum’ being Latin for ‘tin’ and ‘thorpe’ being Middle English for ‘village’.) Prospectors starting arriving from many countries in the year 1872 when tin was first discovered here and the place was still called ‘Quart Pot Creek.’ For a time, the area became the largest alluvial tin mining and mineral field in the state, until tin prices fell, when many miners turned to farming instead.

With its subtropical highland climate, the area was well suited to grow cool climate fruits and vegetables. Grape vineyards were planted around the 1860’s initially to provide altar wine for Father Jerome Davidi, the local church’s priest of Italian descent. Grape growing and quality wine making soon caught on with the many Italian settlers here.

When the railway got as far as Stanthorpe in 1881, it opened up the area for people who came here to recover from tuberculosis and chest conditions, since the cool dry climate was valued for its beneficial affects on health. Especially after the First World War, many soldiers suffering from mustard gas exposure settled here for this reason.

Agriculture is the main industry in the region these days – including apples, grapes, stone fruit and vegetables, as well as sheep and cattle grazing – so when the Stanthorpe council approached Danthonia for a beautiful entry statement for their area, grapes and apples were the natural choice for the sign’s artwork. These were hand sculpted and painted, while the ‘ploughed field’ was incise carved using hand chisels. The text was carved and gilded with 23kt gold leaf. The sign was mounted on a handsome stone wall which set it off perfectly.

Lettering
Carved & Gilded
Artwork
Sculpted & Painted Add on
Sign Size
120 " x 36 "
Price
$4,320.00