Tullamore Town Entry Sign

TULLAMORE is a town in central west New South Wales in Parkes Shire with strong Irish connections. In fact, the name derives from the Irish ‘Tulach Mhor’, which means ‘great mound’ and the original town is found in County Offaly, in Ireland’s midlands. This area was first settled by Europeans in 1870 and known as Bullock Creek. Later called Gobondery, it was then in 1895 that Jim Tully (whose family hailed from Tullamore, Ireland) built a hotel and named it Tullie’s Exchange Hotel. Another family from old Tullamore settled nearby and named their property Tullamore Station. At this time, the post office officially took on the name Tullamore as well. The town itself has a population of somewhere around 210, though twice that if you count the surrounding area. Set squarely in the middle of wheat, sheep and cattle grazing country, its claim to fame is the very popular annual Irish Festival, held at Easter time. Since the first festival in 2004, this has been a time for celebrating the area’s historic Irish roots (even today, roughly 80% of the locals profess Irish family connections). With traditional Irish food and drink, sports such as hurdles and races, dancing, music, parade, bands and activities for all ages, this is a great family event. Actually, a host of towns in the area are named after places in Ireland, such as Armagh, Cadungle, Fermoy, Carlyle and Kinvara. And in case the town needs any more claims to fame, it is the first town that is named in the original version of the song ‘Ive Been Everywhere’, written by Geoff Mack back in 1959.

It wasn’t hard to decide on the shamrock as a symbol for the town sign. One of a sign system for the Parkes Shire, the wheat motif appears down the side as a watermark, while the text is hand carved and the shamrock is a sculpted and hand painted add on.

Lettering
Carved & Gilded
Artwork
Sculpted & Painted Add on / Flat Painted
Sign Size
67 " x 78 "
Price
$3,000.00